Monday, May 11, 2009

FOODZOR - Bean Tacos

Yesterday was Mother's Day - I think she had a lovely day, except that I had been captured by pirates on Saturday, and only made my daring escape today. Which is, incidentally, why my Saturday recipe is two days late.

So! Tacos! With beans in them.

You will need:
750g can of kidney beans
1 onion
1 small capsicum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of chilli powder
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon of tomato paste

taco shells
avocado
cheese
tomato
lettuce


I'm getting fancy with the pictures...

OK, so dice the onion (ow my eyes) and crush the garlic, and fry together in a splash of olive oil for two or so minutes. Dice the capsicum, and add it. Add the seasonings now, let them fry together for a bit. When the capsicum's beginning to give up (and wouldn't you?), stir in the tomato paste. Drain the beans, and add them. Splash water in if it's getting too dry. Stir it all thoroughly and let the beans warm their toes. When they're hot, mash them roughly. Mwa ha! Vent the day's frustrations. Most cathartic. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. This should be frankly savoury and delicious, and is also very good for nachos.


Man, I love easy food. The pirates adored how quickly I whipped this up for them. Even with my hands bound with strips of grisly old rags. And with the toppings, it's very good for keeping scurvy at bay! Heat the taco shells in the oven according to the directions on the packet (unless you make your own - if anyone does, I'd love to hear how it's done..). Grate the cheese, dice the avocado and tomato. Shred the lettuce, or not.

Bob's your uncle, as they say. (Why? Also: who is Larry and why is he so happy?)


And this is me and the kitchen reflected in the window, with town lights in the distance. And a tree. Deep!

6 comments:

  1. I bet they were scrummo - nothing like a good bean taco!
    I actually won a prize for mine once:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/10752/vegetarian+tacos
    They are pretty damn good.

    p.s we met at the Beach Market :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, thats your recipe? So exciting! All published. :) They look delish. I am definitely putting tomatoes in mine next time, too.

    I remember you and your beautiful jewellery! Getting geared up for the next Beach Market?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No unfortunately I won't be at the next one, nor the one after. Going away (Melbourne/Europe) Bad Timing.
    I'll hopefully be at 'the market' in July.
    Have you been to that one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Europe! I'm jealous. :) Just hols?

    No, I haven't been to 'the market'! Would love to though...hmm. Maybe after exams. Is it monthly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah holiday for 5 weeks. We'll be staying with the inlaws in Germany most of the time but the husbo and I will also have 4 days in St Petersburg, Russia :o)

    'the market' is on the first Sunday of each month.
    http://www.themarkethobart.blogspot.com/
    It's very good - well organised and a really nice ambient feel. Stallholders can only have a spot 4x in the year so there's not always the same stuff there. (stalls $55 more than the other market but busier so worth it)

    Good luck with your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks! They're a little way off yet...essays first! I'm gazing up from the bottom of the Study Ditch.

    ReplyDelete