Sunday, April 19, 2009

FOODZILLA - Stuffed Mushroom Pancakes

Saturday is supposed to be the day I post recipes, but I didn't have time yesterday. So, just before the Thought Police come and take me away, I thought I'd post it today.

Now, this recipe is for pancakes filled with a tasty mushroomy mixture.

For the pancakes:
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup of plain flour
2 eggs

For the filling:
250g of mushrooms (any variety - but brown is best. Just squint 'til the undeniably white mushrooms in the pictures look brown)
Two large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup cooking sherry
two tablespoons of cream
one tablespoon of cornflour
150ml of water
250ml of veggie stock, or 1-2 veggie stock cubes dissolved in water
small amount of flour
1 bunch of spring onions
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
2-3 fresh sage leaves, or a teaspoon of dried sage

I got daunted at the thought of taking a photo of all that, so instead I give you a small ingredient delegation:



Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius. (Fan forced.)

Firstly, make your pancakes. Whisk up the flour, milk and eggs.

Hmm, eggy! Whisk it better than that. Ladle small amounts of the mixture at a time into a hot greased frying pan. You should make nine or 10 from - make them very thin - as thin as you can! Think Calista Flockhart. (Not that she would eat these. She might stop being 2-D.)


Mm, blurry pancakes! Pile them up, separating them with baking paper. Set them aside. Explain you still love them etc.

Now, in a saucepan, saute in olive oil the spring onion and garlic. Add the sage and walnuts and fry a bit. Add the flour. Turn down the heat somewhat.


Add the spinach leaves and put the lid on the saucepan for a few minutes to let them wilt. Add the mushrooms: stir. Add the sherry. Discreetly swig from the bottle. It is not very nice.

Now, in a bowl, mix the water, cornflour and cream. Pour this interesting slurry into the mushroom mixture. As it cooks, it will thicken. Nice! After it has thickened somewhat, add the vegetable stock. Boil a little, then simmer - you want to reduce the liquid. (Jedi mind trick: you WANT to reduce the liquid.) The sauce should be quite thick. Taste it and adjust accordingly. Use salt and pepper if you must.


This takes a while to simmer down, so I was at a loss. Therefore, I whipped up a quick art installation in the kitchen. I call it "Dreams." (Either that or "Broken Ascension.")


Don't be intimidated. Let it speak to you.

After the art appreciation, and the sauce has thickened, place 1/10th of the filling in the middle of each pancake and fold it up around. Put them in a baking dish, folded side down. Sprinkle with a bit of grated parmesan if the mood grabs you. Bake them for about half an hour, until they're hot and golden.

And check it out! Proper wine!


Serve with a simple salad.


My mother described that photo as 'positively obscene.' I maintain that food is gross.

The Thought Police are here. Must convey my innocence with interpretive dance.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I laughed my way through your post! I like your style. And this looks so yummy that I'm going to try my hand at this recipe for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you alli! Let me know if you make it, and how it goes! Hopefully I remembered the recipe properly. No glaring errors or terrible combos.

    I've been seeing you around in the Etsy forums a lot lately. I love your shop! I'm browsing through it again now. Love your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your sweet compliment. I think your jewelry is very cool too!
    -Just wanted to let you know that we just finished dinner...and it was FABULOUS! The recipe was perfect, and it was a huge hit. I can't wait for your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alli, I'm so glad! Hurrah, my recipe worked. Hopefully it wasn't too vague/haphazard. :) I will post another one this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete